Monday, March 12, 2012

Shahrizat stepping down, when will Anwar and others?

Shahrizat To Step Down As Minister Of Women, Family And Community Development

KUALA LUMPUR, March 11 (Bernama) -- Datuk Seri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil will step down as Minister of Women, Family and Community Development when her term as Dewan Negara member ends on April 8.
Shahrizat who made the announcement Sunday said she will continue as Wanita Umno chief and Wanita Barisan Nasional chief as entrusted by the party.
The decision was made after giving it much thought.
She said a letter effective April 8 is ready and will be sent to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.
"I want to do the right thing. I think for me now, the right thing is to leave my post as a Cabinet Minister. The time has come.
"I want to also make sure that whatever decision I made is the right decision. I made the decision on my own," she said after launching Jalinan Kasih LPPKN programme, here.
Asked whether the decision was made following the NFC scandal, Shahrizat said she has nothing to do with the issue.
"I really have nothing to do with NFC. I am married to the chairman of NFC, but as a member of government, I feel that the right thing for me to do is to step down.
"I have the greatest respect for the government and for the Prime Minister. I am not only a leader, I am also a wife and a mother. I know what to do, and I did the right thing."
Shahrizat pointed out that she wanted to ensure that when she steps down, the investigation on NFC would carry on and would wait for the outcome.
She said the days leading to April 8 will be spent attending programmes agreed earlier and to focus on the Social Worker Act.

tunku : good move shahrizat. that's the best thing to do. you can continue as wanita chief as you have solid backing from the movement and there's no reason to resign from that post at the moment. we hope this move will be set as example to other leaders too. at least BN had shown that they are transparent and willing to be responsible where else the opposition leaders especially anwar who had so many court cases still holding tight to his posts.

No comments: